Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Salmon ceviche with avocado

From this post forward, I will try be adding an English version of the recipes I share. I hope you enjoy!

I am over the moon about this recipe. I have been wanting to make my first ceviche for some time and I really wanted to do it using salmon. I know that is more common to make this dish with white fish, but it should be possible, right? We eat it almost raw in sushi and I have heard that ceviche can be prepared with any fresh fish.

Receta: Ceviche de Salmón con Palta
Salmon ceviche



Follow this link for the recipe and video for How to Make a Peruvian Style Ceviche.

I must tell you that my first attempt was not successful because I could not find fresh fish. There was a blackout by the area where I live and it had affected my local supermarket. They only had frozen fish.

A couple of weeks went by and I became encouraged again. This time, I went to a larger supermarket chain. I figured that the bigger the supermarket, the broader their supply of fresh fish would be. I was right. They had fresh salmon and I brought it home with me (although I forgot cilantro).

Receta: Ceviche de Salmón con Palta


For this post, I followed various recipes and advice. I took a bit from everywhere and even though this post came out too wordy, it’s quite a simple recipe.

Sorry about the few blurry photos. I messed that up  :(

Ingredients
300 grams of fresh salmon
½ cup of Peruvian lemon juice
⅓ Peruvian limo pepper, with the seeds removed
1 Peruvian corn, cooked and in slices
1 sweet potato, cooked and in slices
1 medium red onion, cut into thin vertical slices
1 ripe avocado
3 lettuce leaves
3-4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
Salt
Olive oil

Preparation
Placing the fresh salmon in the refrigerator when you begin.


Cover the onion in water with a tablespoon of salt. Let it sit for a few minutes.

Cut the chili pepper into small squares. Be careful with your hands as the pepper will sting any cuts you may have or touch after handling it. Set aside.

Take the fish from the refrigerator and remove its skin. See how to do this in the comments below.

Cut the fish into thin squares. Season them with salt and garlic. Place them on a dish or bowl, and cover them entirely with the lemon juice. If it is not entirely covered, you must make more lemon juice. Add the chili peppers and let it all sit for 10 minutes.

Receta: Ceviche de Salmón con Palta
Trozos de salmón borrosos

Peel the avocado and cut into squares. Strain the onion and place it in a bowl. Add olive oil and salt, and then the avocado. Mix them carefully so that the avocado does not come apart.

Check on the fish after ten minutes. If the sides are a whiter color it is cooked and ready to serve.

Serve the fish over a leaf of lettuce and cover it with the avocado and onion sauce. Accompany it with the corn and sweet potato.

I hope you enjoy!

This recipe serves 2-3 people.

Comments
  • This recipe has was updated on Jan.2017.
  • Cook the corn and sweet potato first, as they will take the longest.
  • To skin the fish, place skin facing down and the meaty side facing up. Place the knife blade slightly above the skin while pushing the knife horizontally. Use a sharp knife and try to avoid discarding the the fish meat.
  • This recipe considered a medium tolerance for spiciness.

No comments:

Post a Comment