Friday, September 23, 2016

Recipe: Peruvian styled lentils

Serving lentils on Mondays is a Peruvian custom for abundance and also a good habit for nutrition. Since I was a child, I always knew what I would eat on Mondays. I cannot complain. I like lentils and fortunately I never grew tired of them. However, I do allow myself more time than a week before having them again.







For this week's recipe I wanted to make a simple, traditional, and healthy dish. Lentils are a good source of iron, protein and zinc. Here is the recipe and video for how I make them. I hope can try it and let me know how you like you lentils.

Ingredients
2 cups lentils
4 cups water
1 onion
3-4 cloves garlic
Salt and pepper

Preparation
Wash lentils and add to a medium pot with double their amount in water. If you forgot to wash them, don't worry, I also forgot.



Cut the onion in two halves and add ½ to the water. Add salt and bring to a boil. Cook the lentils until they are bland.



When this occurs, remove the cooked onion and mix it with half of the lentils in a blender. Separate all the lentils in a bowl.



Mince and saute the other half of the onion and garlic in the same pot. Add the lentils and cook until it is all mixed. Let’s say about 15 to 20 minutes.



Traditionally, the lentils are served with a fried egg and white rice. I really like it with a fried egg and with Peruvian Sauteed Chicken. Sorry about the picture, you can barely see the lentils under the egg!



Serves 3-4 people

Comments
Keep an eye on the lentils when cooking. Add water if evaporates before they cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment