Wednesday, August 2, 2017

The basics: 4 petite friendly jean tips

Being a petite woman with subtle curves has been troublesome. I was teased at school and even by my family (yes Cynthia, I’m talking about you). This was until I developed my personal style as an office lady. While looking for outfit combinations, I discovered petite-size bloggers like Cher (Dressed Accordingly) and Jean (Extra Petite). The world was different after that. Español aquí.


During my teens, there was nothing more basic than a pair of jeans and difficult to find in my size. My mistake was wanting to wear brands my friends used, when they had a different body type than me. It ok ladies, there other brands out there. Finally, when I was oldere I went to ALL the shops in Salaverry Plaza and tried on ALL the jeans they had. I took pictures and I picked a couple pairs that fit me right. Even then, I had to have the bottom fitted and hemmed. I would love to start sharing what I learned, I hope it helps you like it did me.


1. Skinny and flared jeans
Personally, I love the classic silhouette of skinny and flared jeans on a petite woman. Mid rise or high waisted cuts can lengthen your silhouette. Of course, I recommend wearing flared pants with heels or platformed shoes to show off the flare and make you look taller.


2. Whole and classic colors
Jeans in classic or dark blue washes will always be classy, and you can wear them on different occasions. I love wearing them with a shirt to work. It my "Man Repeller" instinct.


3. Material quality
Resist the temptation of ultra skin tight jeans and pick slightly thicker fabrics, which tend to look better. In my experience, the stretchier pants wear out faster. For bonus, better quality fabrics don’t show your panty line.


4. Fitting
Picking a jean your size reduces your need to go to a seamstress or tailor, but you should still get them hemmed if they are too long. This is going to be most of the time if you live in Peru, because most stores sell long regular pants even though the majority of the population is short. The GAP store, for example, has been in Peru since 2013 and has yet to bring their petite sizes.


Top: TopiTop
Jean: Gap
Shoes: Franco Sarto

No comments:

Post a Comment