Friday, October 7, 2016

Recipe: Peruvian style ceviche (Video)


I am very happy to share this publication because it means that I have restocked on Peruvian yellow peppers and other ingredients that I had run out of a few weeks ago. Since I have continued my commitment to eat mainly fish on the weekend, I was really craving a traditional Peruvian style ceviche. My first attempt of ceviche was with salmon and avocado, and now I would like to share this recipe for making a typical Peruvian ceviche. I hope you like it! Español aquí.






Although I would have liked to make ceviche with corvina or cojinova fish, I had to try another species, since I'm still away from Lima. I had a very good experience with "Barramundi" which was recommended at an organic supermarket. Apparently this fish comes from the West Pacific region, and is very popular in Thailand. It was good, but if I can recommend another white fish other than tilapia, I promise I will try it :)

I'd forgotten how easy and fast it is this dish. I really enjoyed making it.

In case you are looking for Peruvian ingredients in Texas, I found Peruvian yellow, rocoto, panca, and mirasol peppers at Fiesta Mart supermarkets. The brands they carry are Inca's Food for chillies and some beverages, and Goya for beans and banana chips. You may find it funny, but I struggled to find lima beans and chickpeas before that. If you are not near the store, look for a Latin market and asking for their Peruvian food section. Hope you find it!

Ingredientes
Ceviche
1 kilo of white boneless fish
1 cup of Peruvian lemon juice (**)
1 large red onion, in thin vertical cuts
1 Peruvian yellow pepper, or according to taste
¼ teaspoon shredded ginger
2-3 cloves garlic
Salt and pepper
Lettuce or arugula

Toasted Dried Corn Cancha
Dried corn cancha for toasting
Salt

Preparation
Ceviche
Remove the skin and cut into medium to small cubes.




Place the fish on a dish, without placing one cut over another. Add garlic, salt and pepper.


Optional: Add Peruvian Yellow Pepper and ginger.


Cover fish with onion.


Cover the dish with lemon and let sit for 10 min. Serve immediately when cooked.


Ceviche is traditionally served on lettuce and garnished with cilantro. It is accompanied by toasted cancha, sweet potato and peruvian corn.



Serves 3-4 people

Toasted Dried Corn Cancha
You can toast the cancha while you wait for the fish to cook. Heat an oiled pot. Add cancha.



Cover and cook until shortly after cancha pops. You can shake the covered pot to help it cook evenly, until golden. Make sure to wear mittens if you do this.



Pour the cancha in a bowl and add salt.


Repeat to make more.

Comments (**)
  • You can boil the Peruvian Yellow Pepper in water to reduce the spice. I boiled it twice in the microwave.
  • Try bathing the onion in salted water before adding to the fish, to reduce its strong flavor.
  • The cancha cooks very fast so try making it in small portions to avoid burning the cancha.
  • Peruvian lemon has a different flavor than lemons you will find elsewhere. In the US you can mix limes and lemons, say 2 limes and 6 lemons.

No comments:

Post a Comment